Transition out of school can be a stressful time for anyone. For individuals with disabilities effective transition planning involves a number of individuals providing input and expertise to best support the individual’s goals. Below are steps to consider when developing a comprehensive transition plan.
- Work with the individual to identify realistic goals that match their skillset
- Conduct career exploration
- Determine steps needed to reach the individual’s employment goal (i.e. post-secondary education, vocational training program)
- Identify resources in the community that can provide work experience in the field of interest to further assess goals
- Discuss housing needs
- Explore eligibility for benefits and work incentive programs (i.e. SSI)
- Assess independent living skills to identify supports necessary (i.e. Personal Care)