The interview process can be very involved for all! There are a number of factors to think about during this process. Preparation is essential to ensure success. Below are some tips to prepare for an interview.
- Research the Company and Job- Be sure you understand what the company does, the target market, and industry so that you can connect your experience to explain the value you add to their mission and goals. Understand the job you are applying for, the duties, qualifications and expectations.
- Assess Accessibility- If the interview is in person and you require an entrance that is accessible be sure to research the location’s accessibility (i.e. ramp, elevator access etc.). If the interview is conducted remotely, ensure that any assistive technology, supports are working properly in advance (this includes tablets/cell phones being charged fully).
- Practice- Review common interview questions and plan responses and timing for responses to keep responses brief and focused. Become comfortable with discussing your strengths, relevant experience and why you would be a fit for the position.
- Dress Professionally- Regardless of whether the interview is in person or remote, ensure that you are dressed professionally. Choose items such as a button down shirt, dress pants, skirts etc.
- Be punctual- Arrive a few minutes prior to the interview. If it is in person plan in advance for transportation options and route and allow for delays (especially if utilizing public or para transit services. If the interview is remote, log in at least 5 minutes prior and remain in the waiting room until you are let in. This demonstrates professionalism and attention to detail.
- Follow up/Thank You Email- Ensure you ask for the interviewer’s contact information to send a follow up email thanking them for their time and reiterating your excitement for the opportunity.